General surgery is a discipline that requires knowledge of and familiarity with a broad spectrum of diseases that may require surgical treatment. By necessity, the breadth and depth of this knowledge will vary by disease category. In most areas, the surgeon will be expected to be competent in diagnosing and treating the full spectrum of disease. However, there are some types of disease in which comprehensive knowledge and experience is not generally gained in the course of a standard surgical residency. In these areas, the surgeon will be able to recognize and treat a select group of conditions within a disease category. The required residency experience for initial certification in general surgery Residency training in general surgery requires experience in all of the following content areas:
• Alimentary Tract (including Bariatric Surgery)
• Abdomen and its Contents
• Breast, Skin and Soft Tissue
• Endocrine System
• Solid Organ Transplantation
• Pediatric Surgery
• Surgical Critical Care
• Surgical Oncology (including Head and Neck Surgery)
• Trauma/Burns and Emergency Surgery
• Vascular Surgery
General surgery as a field comprises, but is not limited to, the performance of operations and procedures (including endoscopies) relevant to the content areas listed above. Additional expected knowledge and experience in the above areas includes:
• Technical proficiency in the performance of essential operations/procedures in the above areas, plus knowledge, familiarity and in some cases technical proficiency with more uncommon and complex operations in each of the above areas.
• Clinical knowledge, including epidemiology, anatomy, physiology, clinical presentation, and pathology (including neoplasia).
• Knowledge of wound healing; infection; fluid management; shock and resuscitation; immunology; antibiotic usage; metabolism; management of postoperative pain; and use of enteral and parenteral nutrition.
• Experience and skill in the following areas: clinical evaluation and management, or stabilization and referral, of patients with surgical diseases; management of preoperative, operative and postoperative care; management of comorbidities and complications; and knowledge of appropriate use and interpretation of radiologic and other diagnostic imaging.
General surgery is available now in SC Taman Megah.
For more information or to make appointment, please contact us at:
Tel : 03-7803 0992 Email :[email protected]